Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Old Man's War

I actually read this book a long time ago; so long that I've also read the second and third books in the series. But, the books I'd requested were not in yet, and I had this lying around whilst home with Apryl and the new baby, Gwen. So, I read it again. Just as exciting as the first time, but as I remembered how the third book goes, it appears clear to me that Mr. Scalzi did not have the end in mind as he wrote the first book. There's a little bit of inconsistency about the approaches to the Colonial Union and Colonial Defense Force that seems to indicate an uncontemplated change. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.
 
Either way, this is a great tale. Scalzi knows that he can't help this book being compared to The Forever War or Starship Troopers and so he doesn't try to hide it, but his references are obvious. Also, he is able to bring a new twist to the old story. Basically, at age 75, earth citizens can sign up for the Colonial Defense Force, to be sent into other parts of the galaxy to defend human colonies against the myriad other intelligent races fighting for the same hospitable planets. How they take old people and turn them into worthy soldiers is something you'll have to read to find out, but the technology and sci-fi are never the Point of the story, but rather the context in which the characters make their choices. Particularly, the protagonist John Perry has some lingering feelings and issues relating to the death of his wife 8 years before, which are interestingly and satisfyingly dealt with. Especially if you've read the sequels, which you should.
 
I realized that I should be ending these review s with some time of scale recommendations, you know, like 5 stars or something. But everyone does the stars. And I only have two thumbs, and that's not enough to give me the nuance I need to tell you how much I like (or dislike) the book. So, I've decided to rate books with yards, with a perfect book getting the whole nine (9) yards.
 
Old Man's War: 7 yards and 2 feet.

1 comment:

Liza said...

Have you seen this blog? http://io9.com

It has a list of great sci fi opening lines here

http://io9.com/5027128/great-opening-sentences-from-science-fiction

and in the comments someone mentioned Old Man's War and I put it on my list to read....so if you liked it, perhaps I will move it up in the pile.