Monday, July 21, 2008

I Am Legend

An auspicious beginning, to be sure. My first review on my book review blog, and it's a title with many meanings. The book by Richard Matheson is only about 150 pages long, and it goes dang quick. That may be part of why I disliked it so much. It's not just the fact that the protagonist is the rambly sort (I imagine I'd be rambly too after a few months of being the last man on earth), it's that it doesn't work to tell a story that way, in the third person, but intimately involved in the protagonist's head, which, did I mention? is subject to fits of rambly.

Also, the relationship with Ben Cortman, and the weird affection, is never explained, it's simply either taken for granted or plausible reasons for it are expressly disavowed.

Then, the end. Ah, the end. Look, it's ok when people you like die in the end. Not everything needs to be a Disney ending. But at least give me a wedding scene from Storm of Swords to explain it and make it real. I didn't buy this at all, it came out of nowhere and it was just, well, dumb.

No wonder the movie versions (including my favorite, The HΩmega Man) changed the story so much.

No comments: